Whitehead Community Association
This website is in development currently…
Who We Are
The Association owns and manages the Whitehead Centre situated at 19 Kings Road, Whitehead. The residents of Whitehead acquired the property (a former cinema) in 1977, to form a Community Centre which is located in the heart of the town’s Conservation Area. Subsequently, major refurbishments in 2007/08 and 2011/12 extended the community space. In the 2019/2020 financial year the Association received grant funding to refurbish the King’s Road side of the building. This project saw the creation of the Whitehead Centre, which serves as a Community Hub, with two additional retail outlet units for start-up businesses in the community. From the Centre, the Association delivers three main activities:
Community Support: By providing a range of community spaces, consisting of a large hall including kitchen, 2 function rooms and a meeting room, the Association can support multiple leisure, education and community groups. In addition, the newly opened Whitehead Centre on the Kings Road side of the building provides exhibition space and has become a conduit for Community & local Tourism information. It provides signposting for welfare and leisure activities, together with being a focal point to promote the town to visitors.
- Community interaction
- Local voluntary group support – Storehouse (local foodbank), Whitehead Wombles, Music And Mind, Small World Group, Friends of Beach Road Dye Garden, Brighter Whitehead, Whitehead Runners
- Tourism promotion – information and meeting point, tour guide support, e-bike provision
Business Accommodation: The Whitehead Centre provides and manages a range of small business units that are available to local residents. The Association offers business accommodation on flexible terms to support new employment for the benefit of local residents and to add to the diversity of commercial offerings within the town.
Annual Events: The Association aims to deliver three annual events in support of its objects, each of these events are run to foster community spirit and pride in the town.
- The Easter Monday 5-mile Road Race: The road race is the oldest non champion race in Northern Ireland and has been contested since 1924. The Association has facilitated this event since 2006. It attracts competitive and fun runners from clubs locally and across Northern Ireland.
- The Whitehead Festival: The festival is run over a 2-week summer period and brings together a wide range of groups and organisations to celebrate the best of Whitehead in a broad spectrum of activities and events.
- The Victorian Street Fair: Established in 2008 and run on the last Saturday in November, the street fair celebrates the heritage of the town with its Victorian theme. Street entertainers, craft and Christmas stalls, together with street vendors offer the perfect backdrop to the Christmas lights switch on.
Explore the spectacular coastal scenery of Whitehead and Islandmagee
Wake up to Whitehead and Islandmagee with our community e-bikes. Explore the spectacular coastal scenery of Whitehead and Islandmagee by e-bike.
Guided e-bike tour
Starting at the Whitehead Hub, take a tour of the village and along the Blackhead Path, stopping off for a walk around the iconic Lighthouse on the cliff
Guided walking tour of Blackhead Path
Walk the famous coastal path to Blackhead Lighthouse with local historian Steve Diamond
Take a look at Whitehead and all that it has to offer.